Finn Valley College
Spanish is offered to students at both Higher and Ordinary Level at both Junior Certificate and Leaving Certificate Level.
- In the Junior Certificate Cycle students have 4 class periods per week.
- In the Leaving Certificate Cycle students have 5 class periods per week.
- Spanish is also a main subject in Year One of the Leaving Certificate Applied Programme (L.C.A.)Students have 3 class periods per week.
- Spanish at Finn Valley College is also offered at Level 5 in the FETAC Business and Secretarial Course for the P.L.C. students. Students have 4 class periods per week.
Each student learns the four main skills which are an essential part in learning a foreign language which are Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. The pupils also get an insight into life in the Spanish speaking world and learn about customs and traditions and how their own country differs from those in the Spanish speaking world.
This year some of the students will have the opportunity of forming friendships with teenagers of their own age when they become penpals with students from the Juan de Tavora secondary school in Puertollano, Spain.
Some Interesting details about Spain.
- Population Of Spain 45,145,532.
- Number of Spanish Speakers Worldwide 500 million
- Capital City: Madrid
- Other Cities: Barcelona, Sevilla, Málaga, Valencia, Bilbao.
- Common Words: Hola, Adiós, Gracias, por favour España,
- Famous Spanish speakers: Antonio Banderas, Penélope Cruz, Shakira,Fernando Torres, Lionel Messi, Rafael Nadal, Fernando Alonso.
- Spanish foods Aceitunas (Olives),jamón (Ham) Queso(Cheese) chorizo (spicy sausage) Tortilla (Omelette), Gazpacho (cold soup)
Spain is famous for:
- Winning the football World Cup 2010
- Winning the football European Championship 2008
- Flamenco dancing and music
- Bull fighting
- Festivals- Semana Santa, La Tomatina