What is the Back to Education Initiative (BTEI)?
- The Back to Education Initiative (BTEI) provides part-time Further Education programmes for young people and adults. The aim is to give people an opportunity to combine a return to learning with family, work and other responsibilities.
Who can take part in BTEI programmes?
- Anyone who has left full-time education can take part in a course being offered, but priority will be given to those with less than upper second level education.
What courses are available through BTEI?
Courses offered can include:
- Subjects in the Junior of Leaving Certificate e.g. Junior and Leaving Certificate Maths and English.
- a wide range of modules such as communications, personal development, business, computing, childcare, art and crafts, tourism, catering etc. which are certified by the Further Education and Training Awards Council (FETAC).
What will a BTEI course cost?
- Individuals will have different entitlements. Those in receipt of unemployment payments or means-tested social welfare benefits, and holders of medical cards, and their dependents, are entitled to free tuition. Other unwaged people with less than upper second level education will be entitled to a reduction in fees. The remainder will be charged fees.
Will I be paid while attending a BTEI course?
- Generally, no, except for those students eligible for full-time Youthreach/Traveller training programmes who do not have an underlying social welfare entitlement. They will receive a pro-rata training allowance from the Department of Education and Science, depending on the number of sessions they attend. For people in receipt of social welfare payments, continued entitlement to benefit is subject to satisfying the Department of Social and Family Affairs as to their continued eligibility for the schemes. It is best to discuss individual circumstances with the social welfare office.
For futher information, contact the BTEI Co-ordinator
Click on link below for Contact details on your nearest Adult Education & Training Centre running the BTEI Programme.
- Ballyshannon AETC
- Buncrana AETC
- Donegal Town AETC
- Gortahork AETC
- Letterkenny AETC
- Milford AETC
- Finn Valley Centre for Education
Visit our Courses Page to search for a course to suit your requirements.