County Donegal Vocational Education Committee (VEC) operates under a statutory framework provided primarily by the Vocational Education Acts, 1930 and 2001. It is funded by the Department of Education and Science (DES) and is advised by them through circular letters and collective agreements (for example regarding pay and conditions) on an ongoing basis.
County Donegal VEC provides a broad range of Educational Services including post primary schools and colleges, further and adult education and third level education. It actively pursues the further development of educational services in the County, for example through the provision of new schools and of Education Centres, the active pursuit of new initiatives and the retention and re-development of any redundant buildings. Co Donegal VEC has a history of responding flexibly to community needs and aspirations since its foundation in 1905 and, in co-operation with community, voluntary and other statutory organisations, it aims to continue this responsiveness into the next century, especially to those most in need of its services.
- County Donegal VEC manages 14 of the 25 post-primary schools and colleges within the County.
- Its Adult Education Service is the primary provider of Adult Education within Co Donegal and programmes include VTOS, Youthreach, Traveller Training and Adult Literacy.
- The Tourism College, Killybegs has been committed to the education & training of students for the tourism industry since 1969. Since February 2007, the College is now under the remit of the Letterkenny Institute of Technology, Letterkenny.
- Gartan Outdoor Centre offers a full range of programmes based on outdoor recreation and training.
- The Administrative Offices at Ard O’Donnell, Letterkenny, provide the essential support services to the Schools and Centres.
- Donegal VEC also caters for the Youth of the county in a special way through the funding on offer to the Youth organisations including the Youth Information Centres in Letterkenny (Donegal Youth Services) and Donegal Town (Foroige)
There are three Educational Support Services which are collectively overseen and managed by the Chief Executive Officer who reports to the Vocational Education Committee on a monthly basis. These services are managed on a day-to-day basis by a Head of Division:
- Finance (Accounts, Payroll & IT);
- Corporate Services including Estate Management; External Services/Student Support.
- Human Resources Management
Each of these services are staffed by Clerical and administrative Staff at varying grades.
County Donegal VEC provides curricular support in the form of additional teaching hours to a number of Special Education Units and Classes attached to Primary and Special Schools throughout the County.